Convent Of Saint Anthony Of Ferreirim

The Convent Of Saint Anthony Of Ferreirim is located in Lamego and was founded in 1525 by the Counts of Marialva. In this Franciscan male convent of Manueline design, of which the church portico survives, there is still the construction of the cloister, which has since disappeared, corresponding to the first half of the 16th century, when the church and convent complex were built.

After 1834, the church was converted into a parish church and the convent buildings were sold at public auction and partially dismantled or ruined. In 1954, a fire ruined part of the building and destroyed the organ. Later, in 2001, bad weather caused the convent area to partially collapse. As a result of these two incidents, the entire monastic premises were practically destroyed.

Between 2001 and 2005, the church and its contents underwent restoration work. In 2009, the property became part of the Vale do Varosa project, along with two other monuments (the Monastery of São João de Tarouca and the Monastery of Santa Maria de Salzedas), making it possible to restore the remaining convent area, where the convent’s Interpretive Center was installed and has been open to the public since 2016.

The building has been classified as a Property of Public Interest since 1944.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *